I started this a week ago when I needed a small painting project. As with many of my artistic endeavors, this one grew, and instead of finishing it in an evening, I finished it in a week.
Despite it’s somewhat aimless beginnings, I’m really pleased with how this turned out. It was a good exercise in mixing colors and painting in layers. And in waiting for paint to dry.
The girl in blue is the first of the set, and I had some trouble with the colors running together and the lines getting frizzy. My watercolors are old and grainy, which makes things a bit tricky, but I was able to work with that better as I progressed through the set.
This second piece may well be my favorite. I still had some problems with the colors running, but tried to give the painting a little more time. The dog turned out better than expected.
This little guy was slightly inspired by The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (one of my favorite books). By the time I painted him, I was doing a much better job of waiting for a section to dry before adding a new color right next to it.
As far as technique goes, this one turned out best, I think. I felt I had much better control over the paint, and (for the most part) the colors came out smoother than in any of the other paintings.
At the beginning of this study, I had no intention of painting a group of children from oldest to youngest, but when I got to the last space on the paper, a baby seemed to fit best.
The most helpful lesson I learned from this study is that I am incredibly impatient when it comes to art, and sometimes I just need to slow down. Hopefully I’ll be able to remember that 🙂